Building 3 Chemistry Relocation
Building 3

124 Latrobe Street, Melbourne
City Campus

Building 3 External

Building 3 External

Building 3

Building 3

Building 3

Building 3

Building 3

Building 3

CONSULTANTS:

Architect: DesignInc Melbourne
Building Surveyor: BSGM Consulting Building Surveyors Pty Ltd
Quantity Surveyor: Padghams
Services Consultant: Scott Wilson Irwin Johnson Pty Ltd
Structural Engineer: ARUP
Main Contractor: John Holland Pty Ltd

RMIT:

Project Manager: Graham Talmage
Client Relation Manager:Gail Birchall
Project Budget: $13,410,000
Year Completed:2002

Project Description

Building 3 was constructed in 1931 in the neo-grecian style as the Kernot Engineering School. Building 5 was also built in the 1930’s but in the ‘moderne’ style by Percy Everett, Chief Architect PWD.

This project involves the complete refurbishment of Building 3 plus the addition of a new single level rooftop extension, which straddles across a laneway and onto the roof of Building 5. Internal works include new services, a lift, escape stairs and laboratories for the Department of Applied Chemistry.

The design is based on a long term master plan for the group of building 3, 5, 7, 9, which form a continuous built form on Bowen Street. Whilst Building 3 is not architecturally significant, it does occupy a pivotal location within Ellis Court, which is the main entrance to the University.

The design of the new rooftop extension makes a clear demarcation from the stylistically different three storey buildings below. The new roof has expressed eaves and a strong horizontal form as if to float above the masonry building below.

DesignInc, laboratory specialists, designed the internal layout and documented and administered the procurement of the building.

Peter Elliott as campus planner conceived the external form.